Sunday, February 16, 2014

"Aria"

Argument


“This author Rodriguez argues that students like himself gained a lot by having to speak a public language.” In his article titled Aria, Rodriguez reminisces to his elementary school years. He came from a family who spoke a language named “los gringos.” Rodriguez did not want to learn a public language. He felt that he should be greeted in his own language when he entered the classroom, instead of the public language. He sat in class and didn’t say a word for a year and a half. His older siblings did the same. By this time the nuns came to his house to talk to his parents about why Richard Rodriguez seemed so shy in class. The nuns talked his parents into speaking English at home instead of their own language. Since this day their whole lives changed.
Speaking a new language in a house has to be a lot of work. Imagine having to change your language in your home right now? For Richard Rodriguez his family changed their ways of living. When he came home from school his house was wither filled with neighborhood kids or it was emptied because of his parents beginning to have a social life outside of work.  They started communicating in English with the Americans. But, at dinnertime it was silent. They didn’t communicate to each other in English. They just ate and sat in silence. Why? Rodriguez says “as we children learned more and more English, we shared fewer words with our parents.” His father grew more and more silent at home, but his mother argued it was due to his upbringing and the troubles in his childhood, not because of his new language.

Today growing up kids who are bilingual get special treatment. The more languages you can speak the better is how I look at it. I wish I could speak another language. Especially when I am in the nail salon and the workers are going back and forth speaking a different language that their customers don’t understand.



-This picture shows how you can say "welcome" in many different languages.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Gianna, you made some great points in your article! Especially about how being bilingual now is praised! I agree with everything you said! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some really good points in your post, especially about wanting to learn or be able to speak another language which I can completely agree on! Now a days they have classrooms for students specifically trying to learn english and even though spanish may be a big part of them just like Rodriguez mentioned, I still think it is really intresting how they have ESL classrooms in schools now a days. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I totally liked your post! I agree with the points you made! I agree with you, in how hard it must have been for him from having a really close family to having a silent dinner, all because of the language being an obstacle for communication. Thankfully, as you said, now knowing more than one language is seen as something great and it is really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gianna! I liked your post ! I totally agree with you about the desire to speak another language. I too thought it was odd that speaking a different language was portrayed as a bad thing at Rodriguez's Catholic school, but now most places love if you can speak another language beside English. And to be honest, I've never gone and gotten my nails done purely because Im afraid the people would just talk bad about me the whole time in a different language. So overall, great job I enjoyed reading what you had to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gianna! I really liked your post! I totally agree with all of the points you made. I think that being bilingual is a great thing and I wish that i could speak another language too! Sometimes I kinda wish that I could understand the people at my nail salon too!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete