Sunday, March 23, 2014

Brown Vs. Board of Education

It’s crazy to think about living in a world where blacks and whites were never brought together. It’s crazy to think about having white schools and blacks schools. It’s also crazy to think that if this was years ago I wouldn’t be able to be friends with some of my close colored friends. Imagine? I guess it was normal before 1954 to attend an all white school or an all black school. I am so ecstatic that we live in a time where you can be friends with black people and attend schools with them. I’m very happy we have a black president. Everyone has their own views and can look at an innocent colored individual and despise them because of their skin. I am not that kind of person. I believe that their good white people and good colored people. I was brought up by the saying, “don’t judge a book by its cover.” So I do not judge an individual by their color.
           
While I was exploring the website I thought it was very interesting and I learned exactly what Brown v. Board of Education was. I read about how five African Americans from five different communities came together to better the education of their children. On May 17, 1954 the courts ignored the law and allowed black and whites to come together. I enjoyed looking at this website and learning about the events that allowed black and whites to be together.
When I watched the two videos of Bob Herbert and Tim Wise a lot of what they were saying related to the Brown V. Board of Education case. In the video it talked a lot about Barack Obama and him being of color. Tim said that we are nowhere near a “post racial America.” They talk about how in our country no one should think they need to be a person of color like Barack Obama, which means that you have to be truly acceptable. Obama is presented and supported because he is viewed as a “transcending race.” Which is being different than a normal black and brown person. Then there is the old school racism that anyone can point out. This connects to education because people who are white can go to any school and may have the opportunity to become a president, while people of color may not have the same chance. Tim also says, “If we are going to live in a truly equal opportunity society then we have to act as a truly equal opportunity society.” For an example if you are a colored teacher you should be able to teach in a higher-class public school, which we don’t see too often.  The best teachers tend to avoid working in schools that are located in poverty also is one of the reasons our society is struggling at becoming equal.
This Blog entry reminds me a lot about the article we read by Johnson. Johnson believes it is important to talk about these issues. It is good to talk a lot about how we are all equal no matter what our color is. It is a good topic to bring up the history of segregation in our classrooms and allow the students to understand the time people lived in then to our time we live in now.

             Here is a linked that I found which talks more about the Brown V. Board of Education case. http://www.epi.org/publication/unfinished-march-public-school-segregation/

3 comments:

  1. I really liked your post this week! You said exactly how you felt and made a great connection to Johnson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job on this weeks post! I think it's crazy too when you said that "if this was years ago I wouldn’t be able to be friends with some of my close colored friends". We have come such a long way! I liked all of your other thoughts as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, and I am also so relieved that we live in a time where we don't have segregated schools, but its sad that racism still exists..really liked you post!

    ReplyDelete